Saturday, January 26, 2008

Why I'm An American Patriot

Here is a short essay I wrote for a contest. It expresses my feeling on the topic of patriotism. More specifically, it addresses the reasons why I'm and American patriot. I hope you enjoy it!

“Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.” John F. Kennedy, our nation’s 35th president, spoke these words with a great sense of patriotism; a patriotism far beyond just support for our country. President Kennedy felt something for his country that made him so devoted to what he did. This certain something, my friends, is love. A love for the land, its people, and all that it has to share. I believe that love for one’s country is a sign of deep patriotism and is the very emotion that reveals my patriotism towards the USA.

Demonstrating love for our country starts with simple steps that can spark the rest of our society to do the same. For example, as a patriot, I consider it my duty to keep myself aware of where our troops are and what condition they’re in. It’s simply a matter of listening to what our soldiers have to say. Just by knowing where they are and how the soldiers are doing shows empathy and a deep appreciation for what those men and women risk their lives to do every day. Be it in Iraq, Afghanistan, Israel, even in our very own country, I take it upon myself to support our troops every step of the way and give them the respect and the honor they deserve. The first step to loving our country is to love those who toil endlessly to defend it.

Loving my country is to love everything that is right in front of and all around me. I show true patriotism by stepping up to make a difference in my community regardless of how small my town may be. I live to empower others and live to bring a feel of patriotism to my community. This starts with small acts of kindness and extending love to everyone I meet. As a patriot of America, I make this my goal every day of my life.

According to the dictionary, patriotism is “a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests.” The one word that stands out to me is loves. Patriotism is in fact as simple as a single word: love. Extending that love to those who serve, those I meet, those I care for, and to our grand country altogether is what makes me an American patriot.

No comments: